THERMOPAINT – liquid heat insulation
There can be observed more and more new products in the market under the title “thermo paint”. Most often it is a paint on polymer binder base, where ceramic or glass microspheres are used as a filler. Producers and distributors of these products often points at their miracle features, sometimes also position as an alternative for all other heat insulation materials. These statements are false. Thermo paint cannot be universal material of thermal insulation due to its physical features and therefore it cannot fully replace foam polystyrene, mineral wool or other materials. However; there are cases when their usage is economically and technologically justified.
They are often used in places where traditional insulation materials are difficult or impossible to use. Below there are mentioned several application areas of thermal colours:
Protection of metal surfaces – hot and cold water supply pipes, locking accessories, conditioning and ventilation system’s air ducts, tanks and reservoirs, thermal insulation of water tanks and heating boilers.
Outstandingly thin thermal insulation for trailers, refrigerators, cars, boats, metal garages.
Metal roof covering protection from overheating, corrosion and maintaining the heat. Insulation of metal hangars, liquidation of coldness „bridges” in building construction places, where it is impossible or economically not justified to perform the works using classical insulating materials. Avoiding originating of condensate, improving sound isolation. Treatment of seams of panel buildings. If insulation of indoors is done, it’s effective to use it on the walls behind heating radiators, for treating the window boxes and doorways, insulating loggias and balconies etc.
Application examples mentioned below highlight the strong points of the thermal paint:
- Outstandingly thin coating layer.
- No seams or other joints when applied.
- Easy, fast and technological application.
- Coating flexibility, resistance against deformations caused by temperature.
- Objects treatment of complicated forms.
- Covering serves also as a hydro insulating membrane.
- Protects metal from corrosion.
- High ratio of heat reflection (“heat mirror” effect).
- Thanks to its features, thermal colours also supplement traditional heat insulation materials and eliminate their weaknesses; however, do not replace them in any way.
Therefore, thermal colours should be used where their unique features are necessary. This is the case when one should less listen to the advertisements and more take into account material features and proper guidelines of its usage. Consultation of specialist will be just in place. Good luck!